Week 1 ~ Revive Your Prayers for Your Marriage!

Are you ready to Revive Your Marriage!

This week the hard work begins!

The challenge is to Revive Your Prayers for Your Husband.

I have always used symbols as reminders to pray for my husband through out the day. One symbol I use is a bucket truck. My husband is in the bucket truck industry.  So, when the kids and I are driving around – we regularly pass bucket trucks.  I immediately call out and point to the bucket truck.  Then I say – who wants to pray?  Someone always volunteers and right there in the car – we say a sentence prayer for daddy and his job.  We have done this since the children were just pre-schoolers and I love how it has trained, not only me to pray for my husband regularly, but my kids too!

Prayer is powerful!

Do you believe that?

James 5:16 is one of my FAVORITE verses on prayer.  It says The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

I want to have a HOT prayer life – a prayer life that is powerful and effective.

A year ago, I made a video about this verse for a Good Morning Girls On-line Bible study in the book of James.  Here’s the replay of that video.

(If you cannot see this video – click here to view it)

One of my favorite books on prayer is Stormie Omartian’s – The Power of a Praying Wife.  In this book, she gives us a list of areas we can pray over our husbands - here’s a few you can use this week to pray over your husband.

• His Wife -that’s a good place to start right? lol!
  • His Work
  • His Finances
  • His Affections
  • His Temptations
  • His Fears
  • His Purpose
  • His Health
  • His Trials
  • His Integrity
  • His Priorities
  • His Fatherhood
  • His Past
  • His Attitude

This week’s challenge!

Bucket trucks are a signal for me and the kids to pray.  Like a string around your finger reminding you of something important, let your wedding ring be a signal this week to pray for your husband. When you take your ring off to wash dishes or shower – say a sentence prayer for your husband. When you are sitting watching television, reading a book or typing on your computer and your ring flashes your way – say a sentence prayer for your husband. Make it a habit to pray for him.

I also encourage you to ask your husband if he has any specific prayer requests this week.

If you don’t pray for him – who will?

James 5:17 says “The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”

**Chime In: Are you taking this week’s challenge?  Do you have a special way you pray for your husband or a different symbol you plan to use as your reminder? Share it with us in the comment section!

If you are a blogger- write a little about how this is going – grab this button, then link-up below!

Don’t forget to visit:

**Just to clarify: All four of us will be writing on our own blogs every Monday on the same topic (but in our own unique voices). We will all share the same challenge for the week and the link-up will be shared – meaning when you link up on Women Living Well – it will show up on the other 3 blogs as well!

My friend Rachel Wojo is giving away her ebook for free today and tomorrow (Sept. 3,4) – click here to download it —->>>The Sensational Scent of Prayer.

Comments

1. Great post, and a great challenge! I know that God intended this for me because He was just speaking to me earlier today about praying more…hmmm…pointedly for my husband. I’m looking forward to this series. We have a wonderful marriage, and I want to do everything I can to make it better each day.

Thank you!

2. I am going to take this challenge to pray for my fiance, if that’s ok. My symbol (in addition to my ring) will be a school bus (we are school bus drivers, among other things) and airplanes, since Steve loves everything flight related, and flies model gliders. I love this idea!!!

3. Thank you so much for this Courtney. When we first got married I was so diligent in praying for my husband, I want to ignite that diligence again and have a HOT prayer life for him.

4. Such great ideas! I want to have a HOT prayer life too. I have used Stormie’s book. I like the idea of using a symbol. I will use my ring and my “out and about” sign will be utility poles because my husband is a quality control tech for a lumber company. Of course, I won’t pray for every utility pole I see, but I will be more mindful.

5. God reminds us to pray in his word, but there is something about when we are encouraged by other women like yourself to pray that stirs up unity in the body of Christ! I am going to work on enthusiastically praying for my husband this week and be thankful. As women of God we need to lean on each other and pray!

6. Joining in. I will use my wedding ring as a reminder. I also pray when I am doing things, like making his side of the bed, fluffing his pillow, folding his wash.. I pray over all of those things. Sometimes they are just a quick sentence, sometimes longer, depends on what is going on in our marriage. I think Ruth Bell Graham said to praise your husband and bring your complaints to God. (my paraphrase) I also love that book, The Power of a Praying Wife! Lots of great stuff in there. ev

7. Love love love this! I want to have a HOT prayer life too! I love the idea of when I see my wedding ring to pray for my husband. Like Ev, I pray (though not as often as I should) as I’m doing things that serve him, such as folding clothes, doing dishes, cooking dinner, etc. Thanks for this post and this series! :)

8. I linked my post, but I can’t grab the button.

9. Doreen Brown says:

Love this!! I am really looking forward to working with all of these wonderful women. THank you so much for putting this out there for us.
    Not sure what to use for my around town symbol. My husband is in the sign business. :)

10. am in the process of losing weight to wear my wedding ring (love those menopause pounds), but I wear a necklace each day that he bought me for our anniversary. when i move the clasp to the back of my neck it will remind me to pray for him. you really mentioned a great point – ask him what his prayer requests are (instead of assuming). i will absolutely do that!

11. Stacia Jahnke says:

This just proves that God’s timing is always perfect!!! I’m a Children’s Pastor and my best friend is our Youth Pastor and we are starting the Respectfully Yours Ladies Bible Study from Love and Respect this week so this challenge will be perfect to go along with the study. I too love The Power of a Praying Wife!!! I have read all her books and they are great motivators in strengthening our prayer lives!!!! Thank you for doing this challenge!!!!

12. Thank you for the gentle reminder to pray. I love the idea of using our wedding rings as a reminder!

13. I’ve done this before for others .. have to think of something for hubby … honestly please pray I can FIND my rings!! :(

• Holly- I understand!! When my youngest was 18 months old- she lost my diamond. I was devastated, and I still look for it in the house 3 years later. This Aug 23rd- our 15th anniversary- my hubby got me a new diamond- although its beautiful, and I am grateful, I would trade this one carat for my 1/2 carat ANYDAY of the week!! Praying you find yours!!

14. I am so excited for this challenge. Thank you for your desire to serve the Lord in this way. While reading other comments, I was given a good idea for a reminder for praying for my husband, he LOVES planes. Also, please pray for our family if you think about it. We have some extreme issues and could use much prayer.

15. My husband drive the garbage truck so whenever my lil one & I see one we will say a prayer for him. Qnd yes I am taking the challenge.

16. We have an usual situation as my husband is on sabbatical overseas for 7 months. We are almost to the halfway point. I spent the month of August with him. He looked tired and as if he’s aged since the day he left. I like the idea of sentence prayers for him. He is a professor at a local university. I think my visual reminder when I’m out and about will be the school’s logos. They are everywhere especially during football season.

17. This comes at a….we’ll say need time. Thanks so much and yes…taking the challenge ;D (and thank you for pinning…I follow you but, didn’t know about this series..) Thanks again!

18. Love the post. How awesome to think about ALL the effect this series is going to have! God is just so big! Thanks for mentioning the ebook; appreciate you so much!

19. Courtney this is great! I just read through all 4 blogs and each and every one had something motivating on praying for your husband. I love your idea on how you would pray for your husband when seeing a bucket truck. My husband works for a Honda dealership so I decided that every time I see a Honda I will pray for my husband. I told my husband this and he said “Well, then, you’re going to be praying a lot for me!” I just love him so much, but I definitely need to work on the department of prayer!

20. As the wife of a farmer, I will use a tractor or any type of farm implement, as my reminder. Of course, I will use my ring, also. I feel sad that it takes a challenge to get me to do something that should be second nature to me. I should have already been praying for him daily.

21. My husband is an artist, so everytime me and my son see art drawn on buildings, or where ever else, we will say a prayer. I will be doing the challenge. Thank you so much for posting!

22. My husband is a police officer. Whenever I hear police car or fire truck sirens I pray for my husband, as well as whoever it may be that is in that vehicle responding to someone’s emergency. I pray that he/they will be safe and protected while doing their job.

• Hi Mary! My little ones and I do the exact same thing! My husband is a fire fighter and any time we hear sirens we pray for those first responders. In fact, my entire life (even before I ever met my husband!) I prayed for both first responders and the recipient of those sirens! As a little girl in Catholic grade school, our entire class would stop and say an “Our Father” for those in need of the emergency vehicles whizzing by our tiny school.

Blessings,
      Valerie

23. My husband is a tech support guy, and I spend a lot of time on my computer, so before I log on, I’m going to pray for my husband.

24. Stephanie W says:

Thank you for this challenge!! Sometimes I get so caught up in the everyday hustling and bustling that I neglect simple things. I used to have the book The Power of a Praying Wife and it seemed everytime I purchased it I found an opportunity to sew it into a loved one! It has reappeared on my wish list again! I have recently been doing a study on prayer, so this is such a timely reminder!!

25. Hi Courtney, Thanks for this challenge and this post. I pray for my hubby and kids when the date reminds me of their birthday. Hubby’s is the 1st so I try to remember to pray extensively for him on the 1st, 11th, 21st and 31st. For an around town reminder I thought of something the kids could get involved in. Whenever they see a car like his they say, “There’s Daddy’s car!” Beginning today, I am going to tell them that whenever we see that car we should pray for Daddy. They’ll love it!

26. I heard a message the other day about giving up and the speaker said there is someone right now about to hit the “DONE” button on their marriage. That someone was me. My marriage has caused me to lose faith in it and I had made up in my mind I was totally through this marriage and what ever happened I didn’t care anymore but God was speaking to my heart heavily that day. We have been married for 11 years and out of the 11 the first year was the best. I gave my like to Christ a year and half after we got married and it has been a living nightmare every since. I have so much hurt and disappointment in me that it has caused my heart to be so hard against my husband that I feel that I am so far gone that I can’t come back but I still feel God tugging at my heart. I don’t know how I came across this but I am glad that I did. Time I start praying for my marriage, my husband and most of all myself. I need to pull out and dust off my book, The power of the praying wife. Thanks so much for being that tool that God is using to restore marriages. God Bless You.

27. Ultimately the struggle with so many marriages, is SIN! In many marriages around me the husband is not walking out his Salvation, or is not a believer. There is nothing we can do about this EXCEPT PRAY! So often I feel like prayer is a band aid for the problems-something we turn to when we are at our worst, when there is nothing left, but really God isn’t temporary, what’s temporary is our lives here on earth. I want to be a prayerful woman whose prayers are powerful and effective. You have renewed my desire for this!

28. Thanks for the challenge Courtney. Its so easy to get away from the habit of praying for my husband. Thank you for reminding me I need to do this!

29. I LOVE your idea of the bucket truck. My husband designs and sells r.c. airplanes for a living. While I know I will not see r.c. airplanes very often,we live near an airport and we have tons of plane toys and r.c planes around the house so I can use those things as prayer cues! Thanks so much for the idea!

30. I love this challenge it was a reminder for me to get back into praying for him even more. I used to have it a couple of years ago, when I worked then, on my outlook calendar. I had forgotten about it when I stayed home for a couple years. Now I’m back at work and have forgotten about it, but this reminded me to do it again. This is one way to serve my husband and the Lord….thank you for these challenges.

By His Grace,
    Adrienne

31. This is exactly the topic I have been working on lately! And how amazing is God that I read this the morning after looking at a website that sells prayers for your family. Not that you need to buy them, they are giving away the husband pack to subscribers and 25 sets of the prayers for children, enter here:http://moneysavingmom.com/2012/09/weekend-giveaway-prayer-cards-for-your-childrenabc-flashcards-set-25-winners.html . Our men do sooo much, they are needing our prayers so much throughout the day! I agree, this is an area that needs to be approached with earnest prayer!

32. Thank you for this! I am engaged to be married, and we have faced many “worldly” issues in the life of our relationship. Recently, I discovered he has been gambling in secret and I am concerned he may have an addiction. He denies that he has a problem. I don’t know of anything else I can do but pray about it!! I love him so much and I haven’t given up on him yet. Please pray that with God’s wisdom and guidance I will be able to help him and strengthen our relationship at the same time. I will pray over him every day…when I look at my ring and see the symbol in the community I have chosen just for him. <3

33. My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th anniversary in January. We have broke so many sociological forecasts for failure but I see we were blessed! I retired medically in 2009 and he just retired a few months ago. Even though I love him and thank God for him, there are still things he does around the house that irritate me. With your challenge, I am going to look at those little irritants and use them as my reminder to pray for him instead of get irritated with him! Thanks so much for the idea.

34. Thank you for this awesome series! I’m in! I will use my wedding ring as a symbol to remember to pray and a football as a reminder as my hubby is a teacher and football coach and this season of the year is always hard for us. Thanks!

35. Helen Purdon says:

Thank you for a foundational start. My husband and I have prayer dates when we pray together over couples in our small group, family, and our own family issues. I like that you include the kids in praying for your husband. The girls and I pray for things and people we see as we drive around and now we will be more intentional to pray for Daddy too.

36. My husband, Colin, is a police officer. So, whenever I see another police officer/car or hear a siren go off, I will pray fervently for his safety.

My husband finds it difficult to pray for himself–it feels selfish to him. So, for me to be praying for him throughout the day is going to be a blessing. I will also pray that he learns that God wants him to pray for himself.

37. This challenge isn’t something new for me. I’ve been doing this for several years. Maybe not as much as I should (if I had been praying for my husband like I should it wouldn’t have taken almost 7 years for him to answer The Call To Preach), I use his pillow to remind me to pray for him, or whenever he pops into my thoughts, or like right now I see him struggling to prepare a sermon. I also, include my to sons into these prayers (and their future wives too).

38. Thank you and I’m in for the challenge. I soooo want a HOT Prayer life!! I’ll use my ring as a reminder and also, my husband is an electrician so when I turn lights on or off, that will be my cue to pray for him!

God Bless,

natalie

39. I’m in! I pray for my husband every morning after he leaves for work.

40. I’m only sixteen, so I don’t have a husband or even a boyfriend. So I’ll take this challenge to pray for my friends and their relationships, and my future relationships.

41. I love the idea of having an object/truck that you use as a reminder to say a quick prayer for your husband. I love it even more that your children take part in the prayer as well. I think that it is something that my kids and I can do on a daily basis in order to pray for my husband. He is a police officer so I am fairly certain that I can see plenty of police cars around that will serve as a reminder. I pray for him and his safety, but I like having a quick little reminder throughout the day.

42. I alrdy try to remember to pray for my huband going tontakebthe challenge we live in the south (tx) do my husband works in the oil field as a pipeliner when I see company work trucks w company logos that have to do w oil field stuff I’ll remember to pray

43. I love the part about getting your kids to pray for him too. My husband works for Caterpillar so any time we see something from their company I am going to use it as my reminder to pray with my children for my husband (We pass one of their stores routinely on the highway which will make it a good reminder.) I think this is a great series thank you! I am challenging my facebook friends to do it to.

44. Tracy Hester says:

I can already tell I am going to LOVE the month of September with this topic of praying for our husbands! My husand and I have been married for 12 years and were highschool sweethearts during our dating years. I constantly twirl my ring around my finger as a habit, but I have never thought to stop and pray each time I touch my ring. I am going to use my wedding ring as a reminder to stop whatever I am doing and pray for my husand. Thank you for this refreshing idea–

45. I love using the ring as a symbol. My husband works overseas on an oil rig, so there aren’t too many things involving his job here that I can use. Thank you so much I am definetly praying for him more!!

46. JESSICA JIMENEZ says:

Thanks! NEW IDEAS FOR MARRIAGE. I’M FROM MEXCO. GREETINGS I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I KNEW YOU IN EL VIAJE DE UNA MUJER.

47. Lisa Buchanan says:

My husband and I use text as our line of communication a lot while we are both working. I have recently started praying for him everytime I get a text from him – no matter what it is about. But today’s gave me the topic to pray on when his one liner said “terrible day”….I knew it was pertaining to a situation at work, so I just texted back – praying! I know it made him smile! I am learning to truly love and cherish my husband again and it is making for a much better home life for us all! Amen!!!!

48. Michelle T. says:

I pray for my husband daily. He leaves early in the mornings while the kids and I are still in bed. He drives a loud older model suburban. As I hear it pass by my bedroom window that is when my prayer begins. Over his safety, his day and what he may face during that day. He’s a great man! I always ask about his day when I know he’s at lunch just to see if he needs a few extra prayer thrown in. God has been good enough to give me such a great man and to trust me with him how can I NOT pray for him?

49. Oh Courtney! I so needed this! I’m sitting in a hotel restaurant (traveling for work) an trying to fight back the years! My prayer life alone has fallen aside but especially the one for my husband (and children). Conviction anyone? Thank you so much for this!!!!

50. That should have said “fight back the tears”

51. Veronica Best says:

Thank you so much for encouraging me to pray for my hubby! I also have little Bible verses that are on my kitchen window right in front of the kitchen sink. They help remind me to pray as well!!! Thanks so much for holding me accountable.

52. Thank you for posting this. It took me a little while but I prayer – really prayed – for my husband right now. And I think as a wife, I’m called to pray for Him. I can’t believe I haven’t started until now

53. I am praying harder now than i ever have for my husband… we are in a forced separation and restricted to no contact for 1year… this is ‘killing me’ inside because i know he is easily tempted to wander and there is proof that this is happening… especially now that I am out of our house.
    I cannot explain how i am feeling… or coping but knowing that God hears my crys and prayers for my husbands salvation… to bring him to repentance for what and how he is acting out against God and me and his family…. the lies and deceit, the hate and bitterness that are holding him in the bondage of sin… but yet he feels justified. I pray when i see a cement truck (bcse he works for a cement company), i pray when i see a white van( he drives a whte van), certain numbers, certain times of the day when i think i know he is travelling to and from work,…. and so much more – the very saddest part is that he doesnt know how much i am praying for him… to return to God, to me, to our marriage and all of the blessings that HE wants us to have. I have no way of letting him know how much my heart urns for him to know how much i love and care about him… he is trapped and closed. I will continue to pray – because that is what God asks us to do and because he promises a good result when we do…. In Jesus’ name i pray for my husband right now – that he will feel the presence of the Holy Spirit within him… that he will listen to conviction – turn to God and repent and walk the narrow path to salvation – staying committed to following hard after God first, and reviving our marriage. AMEN

54. Johanna Gregory says:

I am home in the day care for my grand baby! So I use pamper changing as my reminder to prayer for my husband and if I am on the road I use the street light when I come to a red light I start prayer and end on a green. On a “his pissed me off day ” I start at a red light and end on. Red light! And if at home my grand baby could go through a bag of pamper Lol!

Grace and Peace!
    Johanna

55. This is a testimony that i will tell to every one to hear. i have been married four 4years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had a spell to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2years until i met a post where this man lord luma have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my lover back home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar to met with this man and have your lover back to your self.
    His email: orissatemple@yahoo.com

56. Natalie says:

This is not only a good reminder for married women to pray for their husbands, but also for me, an unmarried, single teeanger to pray for my future husband, too. I will instead use my purity ring as my reminder. Also, I’d like to let you know, Courtney, that I so enjoy reading your posts and am silently amen-ing all that you say. Walk with the King!

57. Jenny Giltner says:

My husband is incarcerated in state prison. I love that you say to use your ring as a reminder to pray for my husband. I don’t get to talk to him much since they are on lock down right now. I also like that you say to ask your husband how I can pray for him. Its hard for us to pray together over the phone because our calls are only 15 minutes. Thanks so much for the ideas!

58. My husband is a police officer. This will be my symbol to remind me to pray for my husband. I will put back on my origiNal wedding band especially during this week of prayer to remind me to pray for my husband. This is a great challenge and I will give it my all.

I love hearing what is on your heart.