Sweet Potato Casserole

In keeping with the spirit of Thanksgiving – I want to say, I am so thankful for Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen and her amazing recipes!  She blesses me weekly with her sweet heart and fabulous recipes!  Thank you Janelle – you rock!

Now hold tight because at the end of this post I’m going to tell you how to get her free ebook filled with Thanksgiving Recipes! But first –

Janelle writes:

This is the most delicious sweet potato dish I have ever tasted…period. This recipe comes from Southern Living. Not only is it absolutely scrumptious, it is beautiful! The perfect side dish to add to a special Thanksgiving meal.

Clean and pierce sweet potatoes. Bake in a 425 oven for an hour.

Take potatoes out of oven and let cool enough to touch. Slice open and scoop out insides into a large bowl (I use a serrated grapefruit spoon for this). Add sugar, egg, vanilla, salt and butter.

Beat well

Spoon mashed sweet potatoes in a casserole dish

For topping, crush cornflakes in a ziploc

Mix together butter, brown sugar, crushed cornflakes and pecans

Place topping at an angle onto mashed sweet potatoes and bake

Add marshmallows in between the other layers and place back into oven until golden brown.

Sweet Potato Casserole
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. Clean and pierce sweet potatoes and bake for 1 hour or until tender
  3. Let stand until cool to touch (about 20 minutes)
  4. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
  5. Slice open sweet potatoes and take out insides, place in a large mixing bowl
  6. Beat mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, and next 5 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
  7. Spoon potato mixture into a greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
  8. Combine cornflakes cereal and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
  9. Sprinkle over casserole in diagonal rows 2 inches apart.
  10. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
  11. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.
  12. Sprinkle marshmallows in alternate rows between cornflake mixture; bake 10 minutes.
  13. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

I love it – thank you Janelle!!!

This is a featured recipe from …..

Simply Subscribe to Comfy In The Kitchen and you will receive this ebook FREE!

Janelle

Janelle is a Christian, a Wife, a Stay at Home Mom of 3 young children and a proud- to- claim- it “Foodie”. She absolutely loves to cook and typically has an audience of 3 children, pulled up on chairs, taking turns pouring ingredients into bowls. Her spiritual gifts are a mix of “hospitality and evangelism” and is here in the center of God’s will hoping to help you get a little more “comfy in your kitchen”! You can find her displaying step-by-step photos of her recipes, giving devotionals,and sharing meal ministry stories on her blog.

You can follow Janelle’s blog at ComfyInTheKitchen.com Every Friday she has a recipe link-up for bloggers – you gotta check it out!
Follower her on facebook at Comfy In The Kitchen
Follow her on Twitter at ComfynKitchen

Comments

That looks very pretty and delicious!

I’ve lost 19 pounds over the last few months and Roasted Sweet Potatoes has been one of my favorite things. Cut a sweet potato into “french fry” looking strips. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Sea Salt. Roast at 425 for 40 minutes. They are sweet and salty and yummy!

Can’t wait to try this recipe :)! Thanks for sharing!

I am also trying to lose weight, and the sweet potato “fries” are also one of my faves! Delish! I want to try the sweet potato recipe above too, but it will definitely have to be on Thanksgiving, when I’m allowing myself a “cheat” day from my diet. :)

This looks so delicious! Thank you for posting such great recipes all the time. We tried your homemade applesauce and it was delicious. Now my family only wants homemade!

I was so excited–real sweet potatoes, pecans, butter…..

and then you had to ruin it with marshmallows.

(I’m kidding, of course….I’d just leave them out, and spread the corn flake/pecan mixture over the whole dish. I haven’t been able to eat marshmallows since college after working at a summer camp where we has s’mores every night at campfires. Marshmallow overload is an understatement!)

4. Mrs. J says

Hi Courtney! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us; I’ll definitely be whipping this up for the family! I’ve been following your blog for a few months now, and I absolutely love all of your blogs, recipes, challenges, videos, etc. that you continue to share with us.
    From one Christian sister to another … Sending lots of love, peace, and blessings your way! =) Come back soon! We miss you!

5. Ashley says

Yummy! I love any excuse to put cornflakes on top of a casserole (seriously :) ) and combined w marshmallows I bet this is wonderful!

6. Laura says

I agree. It baffles me as to why people want to ruin sweet potatoes with extra sugar and marshmallows. (Marshmallows are gross in themselves– animal bones and ligaments, artificial colors and artificial sugar.)

I like sweet potatoes mashed, or baked. (The roasted sweet potato recipe previously shared looks good, too.) However, we do like to go to a local bar and grill that makes good sweet potato fries that taste good with honey mustard. I like adding cinnamon– no sugar– with baked or mashed sweet potatoes. As sweet as what the potatoes are, I don’t see why a whole cup of sugar is needed (and the sugar in the marshmallows). Also, most of the nutrients and the fiber are in the skins– it looks as though it’s just wasted. With all of the stuff added, who “needs” dessert?

7. Maegan says

Thanks for this recipe. I have never made sweet potatoes before but feel like I could attempt it now because of the easy recipe and great photos. Looking forward having this soon!

I made this last week – well, a modified version because I didn’t have cornflakes or marshmallows, haha – and it was delicious! I took it to a potluck and I heard more kind comments about the sweet potatoes than any other dish. :) Thanks for a great recipe! :)

9. Cordelia says

I appreciate, so very much, your step-by-step directions! For me it takes the guess work out of preparing a recipe! Thank You Courtney.