Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Today’s recipe comes from the Women Living Well Conference Director – Katina!

3 years ago, Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen introduced me to her friend Katina and like Janelle – she has a servants heart of gold!

Katina , her husband, and two sweet children.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” -1 Corinithians 10:31

Katina writes:

About fifteen years ago, I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy and was tired all the time. I went to a doctor regarding this and had all kinds of medical tests done. Everything came back normal, and the doctor told me basically that it was in my mind and that she could refer me to a psychologist. I knew that is not what I needed, so I continued to pray for guidance and wisdom.

One day I was listening to a Christian radio program and a local doctor was talking about hidden food sensitivities. He stated that a lot of our physical ailments stem from the foods we eat. I was pretty much willing to try anything at this point since I had been having these symptoms for over seven months.

I made an appointment with this doctor and he did some blood work, which revealed MANY food sensitivities. The main ones were sugar, dairy, & wheat….which was in everything I was eating!! I then began to educate myself in this area, and completely revamped my diet. I became a label reader and discovered how many different names are used for these foods. I also realized that anything that said ‘enriched’ or ‘hydrogenated’ stayed in me for days and made me feel a lot worse.

I came up with many wonderful recipes…like these oatmeal raisin treats….that were not only healthy, but tasted great! It took about one month and then I started to feel AMAZING…and all my symptoms were gone! Praise God!! The doctor told me that I needed to keep these foods out of my diet for nine months, and then I could slowly start to reintroduce them back into my diet…but in moderation. But that’s the part that I’ve always struggled with….moderation.

Growing up in an Italian family definitely does not help in that area lol! During most of my family gatherings we had lots and lots of food around us all the time. And this is what I thought was ‘normal’ for most of my life. I know how to eat healthy…..how to read ingredients….how to stay fit….however, I don’t have good self-control. For the next couple of months I am focusing on renewing my mind and spirit in this area. This recipe is great to have so that I can satisfy my sweet tooth in a healthy way. I hope it helps you as well!

God Bless, Katina.

Oatmeal Rasin Cookies
Oats, oat flour, canola oil, honey, rasins and cinnamon
Combine all ingredients
Place on a cookie sheet- is this not the greatest? Someone is cooking in my home and it isn’t me?! lol!
Heaping tablespoons
Bake for 10-15 mins until golden brown.
Yummm… they are a little more gooey than a typical cookie and ohhh, so good!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

(with NO sugar, dairy or wheat)
1 Cup of Oats ∙1 Cup of Oat Flour ∙ ½ Cup Canola Oil ∙ ¼ Cup Raw Honey

2 tsp Cinnamon ∙ ½ Cup Raisins

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Drop by spoonful onto cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-15 minutes. After removing from the oven, continue to let them sit on the cookie sheet to harden or you can eat them all gooey with a fork☺

Thank you so much Katina and Janelle!

This recipe was first featured over at Comfy In The Kitchen:

Janelle

Janelle is a Christian, a Wife, a Stay at Home Mom of 3 young children and a proud- to- claim- it “Foodie”. She absolutely loves to cook and typically has an audience of 3 children, pulled up on chairs, taking turns pouring ingredients into bowls. Her spiritual gifts are a mix of “hospitality and evangelism” and is here in the center of God’s will hoping to help you get a little more “comfy in your kitchen”! You can find her displaying step-by-step photos of her recipes, giving devotionals,and sharing meal ministry stories on her blog.

You can follow Janelle’s blog at ComfyInTheKitchen.com
Follower her on facebook at Comfy In The Kitchen
Follow her on Twitter at ComfynKitchen

Comments

1. Jenn says

These look great! I’m hoping to try them this week with just one tweak: coconut oil instead of canola oil will make these even healthier! Thanks for the recipe!

• Katina says

There’s a lot of things that are “bad” for us….you can do a search for anything and find something negative about it. Being a nurse, I’ve even seen doctors debating about what’s “healthy” and what’s not. The good thing is that we all have our different convictions, and we can substitute accordingly:)

Blessings to you! :)

2. Regina says

I had the exact same situation, just never feeling well and year after year sitting on the doctors table and getting blood work, etc to find nothing was wrong. This year my new chiropractors office was offering the testing at 1/2 the cost and wow… I found I was intolerant to everything. Gluten, dairy, eggs, beef, corn… I eliminated this out of my diet in March but like other diets I still ate a little now and then and felt immediate symptoms (foggy brain, dizziness, stomach pains, joint aches). Once I realized how bad it made me feel I eliminated it all for good. The exciting thing for me is that this is the first time in my life I am not on a diet- I am not even tempted by pizza (use to be my favorite) or ice cream or chocolate because I know how bad it makes me feel. I also had my 8year old tested for behavioral issues and found he was intolerant o yeast. We have removed t and wow… What a different kid. He use to get headaches all the time- not anymore unless he eats his intolerant foods. So.. .. With all that being said… Thank you for this recipe- I can’t wait to try it!!!!

• Katina says

That’s so wonderful to hear Regina! I’m so glad you were able to figure out what was going on with you & your son! Praise God!! :)

3. Kim says

This recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing! I’ve also had health issues that I think are diet-related but what kind of doctor tests for sensitivities and such? I’ve only been tested for regular allergens like dust, cat hair, pollen, etc. Thanks!

• Katina says

Hi Kim!
      I got tested through my chiropractor’s office. I have a friend that used a medical doctor that specialized in health & wellness to get her testing done. I would just call around different local doctor’s offices & ask if they do the testing. Hope this helps:)
      God Bless! :)

Hi! I recently found your blog and have a question about your prayer notebook. You mention that you use a 5 subject notebook. Do you divide your requests, praises etc per section or write them all in one place. I know this may sound dumb but I’m going to try your method because I need some help here.

Thanks
    Lee Ann

Hi Lee Ann – I do not divide my requests from my praises etc. I daily date the top of my page and then write out my prayers, praises, confessions and reflections from God’s word all on one page. But I typically fill a few sections in a year. I use the back section to write in blogging ideas that come to mind during my quiet times. And I use the pockets to hold missionary prayer cards or papers from conferences with my notes.

But you should do it however God leads you – yours does not need to match mine :)
      Lots of Love,

5. Heather says

It’s so funny cause this morning I was telling myself, “no sugar today. No sugar today.” And the really crazy thing it’s for the exact same reasons. I have been going to doctors for over a year because of dizziness only to be told her there’s nothing wrong. Finally, though, one doctor listened and sent me to an ENT and he found out I have something called Meniere’s disease. It’s a chronic condition in the inner ear that is going to be with me the rest of my life and is managed by low salt(1500 mg a day), no caffeine, dairy or sugar. Easy to say, not so easy to do! It was such an encouragement to open this up this morning and see this! One thing that has also helped is managing the dust and mold inside. Air purifiers everywhere! Thanks so much for sharing this!

6. nancy says

You might want to consider changing the oil you use from canola to extra virgin coconut oil. Canola oil is not a good oil to use and coconut oil is a healthy oil! Canola oil is from the rapeseed and gets its name from where is originated-Canada-hence its name canola-can-oil. If you are trying to rebuild health you need to use what God made and not what man made! Coconut oil is from the seed of the coconut and has many health benefits.

• Katina says

Hi Nancy!
      I originally came up with this recipe over 15 years ago before all the debates on oils. My doctor actually said not to use coconut oil because of the high saturated fat content…it’s not the best for heart health. So I’m actually using Safflower or Sunflower oil currently for this recipe. Like I mentioned above, we all have different thoughts & convictions about healthy foods, and the great thing is that we can choose accordingly:)
      Thanks for your input! Blessings to you! :)

• Christine says

To the people jumping on you for using canola oil instead of coconut oil, it might be good to point out that coconuts are considered “tree nuts” and some might need to stay away from that. ;)

• M says

Not trying to be argumentative because I love the positive attitude on this site, but so far it seems like doctors are always changing their minds about what is healthy for our bodies. I find it a much better rule that if someone from a couple hundred years ago would not have used it I try not to either. We trust God with our souls, we should trust Him enough know what foods will not give us a heart attack. The saturated fat theory is a myth and canola oil and other man made fats are dangerous to our health. God made animals and told us to eat them, as well as coconuts. It doesn’t make sense that they would cause bad health.

7. Jenny says

Katina,
    Just curious, have you ever used any other gluten-free flour instead of the oat flour? I’d like to try the recipe but haven’t seen a gluten-free oat flour (I can get gluten-free oats though). Thanks for the recipe…they look delicious!! :)

• Marcy says

I have a gluten allergy and have been gluten-free for 2 years. Oats are tricky. Always make sure the oats you buy are certified gluten-free (non-contaminated, pure oats). While they are naturally gluten-free, many oat brands are processed on equipment with wheat. Your best bet with the flour is a gluten-free flour blend. I’d look for a recipe online that uses a mixture of rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum. Hope this helps some!

• Katina says

Hi Jenny!
      I haven’t tried to use any other flour besides oat flour. I’m sorry I’m not a big help in this area! Hope that you can find something that works for you:)
      God Bless! :)

8. HeatherP says

I just made these for the first time. I have a question: are they supposed to be fairly liquidy when they first come out of the oven? I gave them an extra five minutes because my oven usually takes a little longer to cook things, but I didn’t want to overcook them. They are sitting on my cookie sheet now but I just wanted to check in and ask about that. Thanks! :) I’m looking forward to enjoying these!

• Katina says

Hi Heather!
      They’re not supposed to be liquidy…maybe use less oil. I like mine to be gooey when they come out, but they’re still a solid cookie. Sometimes I even cook them longer so it becomes like granola, then I make it into cereal & pour rice milk on top:) Mmmm!! It might take a few tries until you get the cooking time figured out. Hope this helps!
      Blessings to you! :)

9. Christy says

Glad to see so many others are dealing with food sensitivity issues too (I’ve been feeling alone with my list of 50+). I’m still sorting this out, especially as I’m nursing & haven’t been able to eliminate a lot & keep my milk supply. Thank you for the recipe, hopefully I can make it work for our needs. Praying that all of us on here are able to heal & continue to feed our families healthy food.

10. NinaBean says

Thank you. Will be baking these soon. Trying to cut out sugars and oil so I’m going to substitute the oil for applesauce and the honey for date paste. Will let you know the results.