Today we begin Week 3 of the “Ignite The Fire” Marriage Series!
Some guys are dreamers – they are idea guys and goal makers. Others, not so much. They fly by the seat of their pants or they are steady guys who do the day in and day out necessities but don’t really think about the future a lot.
This past weekend my family traveled with my parents to Lancaster, PA (a 5+ hour drive) to the Sight and Sound Theatre to see the Show – Noah.
So for 3 hours I sat in awe of Noah and his faith. The story telling was so real that I felt like I was back in his time, re-living the life of Noah.
But you know what was even more awe inspiring…
As I watched the story acted out before my own eyes, I fell in love with Noah’s wife. She has no name in scripture but can you imagine when Noah came to her and said – God spoke to me and I’m going to build this massively huge boat- how she felt???
Oh dear! She had to struggle a bit with entering into his plan and supporting his huge dream.
I know it could not have been easy. Her friends must have thought they both had a screw loose! But she trusted. She trusted God and she trusted her husband.
She stayed along side him for 120 long years while he built the HUGE ark. And then when God brought the flood waters, she was safe inside the ark with her husband and children.
Noah’s wife entered into the blessings of her husband because she stood by him, supported him and was faithful to him even through this massive calling on his life. She was with him to the end.
And we can take a cue from Noah’s wife and strive to be equally supportive of our husband and his dreams – even when they are difficult.
Here’s 5 Keys to Dreaming Together as a Couple:
1. Listen: It’s important that we listen to the dreams of our husband. What are his hopes, dreams and goals? Go to dinner or the park – get alone and ask him what his dreams are. Noah’s wife listened to her husband and trusted him.
2. Communicate: It’s important that we communicate our hopes, dreams and goals to our husband. After he shares his – share yours!
3. Knit Your Hearts Together: Enter into each others dreams. Support each other. Listen. Engage. Dream along side of him.
4. Sacrifice: Most likely your dreams do not match. For some of us, we dreamed together as a couple during the dating days and the dreams still match. For others, our husband’s have changed and they have new dreams. It’s important that we don’t discount or disrespect what is in our husband’s heart. Noah’s wife most likely sacrificed much to support Noah’s calling.
5. Write them down and pray over them. A year ago, my husband and I had my parents watch the kids while we got alone and wrote down some of our dreams and goals for our marriage. For 16 years I have entered into all of Keith’s goals whole heartedly. No, I have not always liked all of his ideas…actually many of them were very hard for me to accept – but supporting him has stretched me as a wife and I do not ever regret believing in him and giving him my whole hearted trust. This is not something new to our marriage. Over the years, we have regularly gone to dinner and dreamed and planned together. I married a visionary guy – so if you are married to one of those – I understand.
Some of us may have to dig more deeply than others to pull out our husband’s dreams. But I believe that every guy has one planted in their heart by God. Be patient with your husband if he does not have one right now and be prepared to share his dream when it does come.
I invite you to join the final challenge of the Ignite Your Fire series.
Make a list with your husband about your future marriage dreams and talk about how you can work towards these dreams together. Then spend time praying over this list together.
*Chime In: Have you felt like Noah’s wife and been challenged by some of your husband’s dreams? How have you seen God’s hand in this and how did you overcome it?
Walk with the King,
And don’t miss this – just 15 days left to receive this thank you gift for pre-ordering the book titled Women Living Well!
then go to WomenLivingWell.org to read about how to receive your thank you gift!