I love Easter! Easter has always been a BIG holiday for my family – we do it up like Christmas with a big dinner and huge overflowing baskets!
This is the day our Savior rose from the dead – this is HUGE!!!!!
One of my favorite activities to do with the children leading up to Easter are Resurrection Eggs which can be purchased at your local Christian bookstore, amazon.com and last year I saw them at Walmart!
Directions: Fill each egg with the item listed (or a picture of the item) and a print-out of the corresponding scripture(number the eggs). Place the eggs in the decorated egg carton. Open and experience the eggs together with your children.
1. (Bread – crouton) Matthew 26:26 While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread, gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples. “Take and eat it,” He said, “This is My body.”
2. (Coins)Matthew 26: 14-15 Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and asked, “What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him.
3. (Purple cloth, representing a purple robe) Mark 15:17 They put a purple robe on Jesus. . .
4. (Thorns or toothpick) Matthew 27:29 Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt before Him and made fun of Him. “Long live the King, of the Jews!” they said.
5. (Scourge-a small piece of rope or thick string) Mark 15:15 Pilate wanted to please the crowd, so he set Barabbas free for them. Then he had Jesus whipped and handed Him over to be crucified.
6. (Cross) John 19: 17-18a He went out, carrying His cross, and came to “The Place of the Skull,” as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called “Galgotha.”) There they crucified Him.
7. (Nails)John 20:25b Thomas said to them, “Unless I see the scars of the nails in His hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in His side, I will not believe.”
8. (Sign) Luke 23:38 Above Him were written these words: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
9. (Sponge) Matthew 27:48 One of them ran up at once, took a sponge. He filled it with vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink.
10. (Spear) John 19:34 One of the soldiers plunged his spear into Jesus’ side, and at once blood and water poured out.
11. (Rock) Matthew 27:59-60 Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a new linen sheet, and placed it in his own new tomb, which he had just recently dug out of solid rock. Then he rolled a large stone across the entrance to the tomb and went away.
12. (Empty) Matthew 28:6 He is not here He has risen just as He said.
My favorite part of these eggs is watching the kids as they listen and take it into their hearts. This is a great tool for sharing the gospel with unsaved children or for leading your own child to the Lord.
Do you have a fun Easter tradition? We also love to make Easter Story Cookies and Resurrection Rolls.
Feel free to share your ideas in the comment section too!
Walk with the King,