Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce

Janelle from Comfy In the Kitchen has the perfect fall recipe for us!!  Janelle writes:

Who would have thought that making applesauce was soooo easy? I have had numerous people tell me that after making this recipe, they vow never to buy store-bought again! I can’t say that will happen for sure..but I can say, this will probably be added to your “must make” Fall recipes each year! What child wouldn’t want to come home from a long day at school to the smell of homemade applesauce?

Fresh apples from the orchard – I used Gala
Peel

Core and slice

Chop into small chunks
My little one did an apple project today…so this was a special treat for her..and me :)
Make sure to discard peels in the trash, not disposal….peelings are the worst for the disposal! (I have learned the hard way)
place your peeled and cut apples in the crock pot with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 sugar

I like to sprinkle of cinnamon on top

Turn on high for 4 hours- this is what it will look like. Leaving it like this is amazing..nice and chunky!

If you like it more “applesaucey” use a hand held mixer or an emersion blender right in the crock pot

This is what it will look like

We love warm applesauce right out of the crockpot- you may cool it as well. Both are delicious

The perfect after school snack for this time of year!
Crock Pot Applesauce
10 Apples peeled and sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
sprinkle of cinnamon
Put all in Crockpot for 4 hours on High. May use an emersion blender/ handheld mixer to make smooth..or you can leave chunky.

My favorite apples for applesauce: Gala, Fuji, and Jonagold.

Other apples that are good for applesauce: Red Delicious and Melrose

Enjoy…

~Janelle, ComfyInTheKitchen.com

Thank you so much for this autumn recipe Janelle!!!

Janelle

You can follow Janelle’s blog at ComfyInTheKitchen.com Every Friday she has a recipe link-up for bloggers – you gotta check it out!
Follower her on facebook at Comfy In The Kitchen
Follow her on Twitter at ComfynKitchen
And follow her on Pinterest at Comfy In the Kitchen

Comments

1. Allie says

I like leaving the peels on as it gives the applesauce a beautiful natural hue and it keeps the fiber nutritiously intact. The peels would never make it in the garbage anyhow. My little people would never allow such a tragic waste to occur. (; The freshest orchard apples at their sweetest peak perfection are best, no sugar needed. Cinnamon is awesome for stabilizing blood-sugar too. Be generous with it! (:

2. Lisa Ritter says

We have been doing this for years. This is a great food to “cut the sugar out.” If you choose a sweet apple, there is no need to add sugar. Just generously sprinkle cinnamon and cook. I have put apples in the crockpot overnight and then canned first thing in the morning. Valerie – it DOES freeze well – beautifully in fact!

3. Khris Kirk says

We are going to try it with our Honeycrisp apples, hopefully won’t need the sugar. And as for the peels and cores, we feed those to our chickens ;-)

4. Kay says

LOVE doing this! We had a bumper crop of apples and pears this year and did this with both fruits – together and separately! I do not use sugar but did add a little nutmeg in mine… and raisins (and dried cranberries for one batch because it was in my pantry!) This is super easy and your family thinks you are extremely talented :-) And, yes, it freezes well!

5. Ashley says

I love applesauce! Can’t wait to try homemade. I always buy unsweetened in the store so I’ll probably leave the sugar out. Thanks for sharing! :)

6. Linda says

I’ve made applesauce like this for the past few years. We go to an apple festival every fall in PA and load up on apples. I then make and freeze enough sauce that we have it all through the winter! I don’t add sugar, but I add a little apple pie spice which gives a great flavor.

7. Aimee says

I made this tonight and it’s incredible!! I have never made my own applesauce and had no idea it could taste so amazing!! The only thing I did differently was use brown sugar, and about 1/2 the amount because I was making it for my toddler (we’ll see if there’s any left for him by morning!).

8. Traci says

I didn’t peel my apples (you can’t tell skin from meat once it’s all cooked), used coconut palm sugar as my sweetener and had most of a can of pumpkin, so that went into the mix as well… Eat it warm—YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!

Cooked it overnight on low….
    When I’m feeling “un-Paleo”, I add a handful of oats, stir in and heat for about a minute….

Next time, i will throw some pears into the mix! Thanks for healthy snack!

9. Lyndsay says

How many servings will this make? Can’t wait to try this…I have a bunch of bruised up apples that I need to do something with.

10. Caitlin says

This sounds wonderful! I’m thinking of using apple cider instead of water, though. I figure why not take the opportunity to add a little extra flavor? I’m going to leave the sugar out and see how that goes. Thanks for the recipe!

11. Jill says

Thanks for the recipe, it tastes great! I got about 1 quart & 1 pint out of 10 apples… I sure wish I had an apple tree!!

Does this need to be completely cooled before putting in the fridge?