I love Easter! Easter has always been a BIG holiday for my family – we do it up like Christmas with a big dinner and huge overflowing baskets! This is the day our Savior rose from the dead – this is HUGE!!!!! One of my favorite activities to do with the children leading up to Easter are these Resurrection Eggs – which can be purchased at your local Christian bookstore, amazon.com and last year I saw them at Walmart!
The store bought Resurrection Eggs come with a booklet and a story for each egg BUT these can also be homemade! A few years ago some women in our church homemade sets of these eggs and gave them out to all the children in Sunday School. Wasn’t that lovely of them!!! You could do this too! Here’s what you need.
Directions: Fill each egg with the item listed (or a picture of the item) and a print-out of the corresponding scripture(number the eggs). Place the eggs in the decorated egg carton. Open and experience the eggs together with your children.
1. (Bread – crouton) Matthew 26:26 While they were eating Jesus took a piece of bread, gave a prayer of thanks, broke it, and gave it to His disciples. “Take and eat it,” He said, “This is My body.”
2. (Coins) Matthew 26: 14-15 Then one of the twelve disciples, named Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and asked, “What will you give me if I betray Jesus to you?” They counted out thirty silver coins and gave them to him.
3. (Purple cloth, representing a purple robe) Mark 15:17 They put a purple robe on Jesus. . .
4. (Thorns or toothpick) Matthew 27:29 Then they made a crown out of thorny branches and placed it on His head, and put a stick on His right hand; then they knelt before Him and made fun of Him. “Long live the King, of the Jews!” they said.
6. (Cross) John 19: 17-18a He went out, carrying His cross, and came to “The Place of the Skull,” as it is called. (In Hebrew it is called “Galgotha.”) There they crucified Him.
7. (Nails) John 20:25b Thomas said to them, “Unless I see the scars of the nails in His hands and put my finger on those scars and my hand in His side, I will not believe.”
9. (Sponge) Matthew 27:48 One of them ran up at once, took a sponge. He filled it with vinegar, put it on a stick, and offered it to Jesus to drink.