Tasty Tuesday: Easter Story Cookies

A few years ago my sister gave me this recipe. This is a great way to share the truth of God’s word in an interesting and meaningful way with your children and grandchildren!

Ingredients:
1 cup whole pecans
1 tsp. vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
zipper baggie
wooden spoon
tape
Bible

Preheat oven to 300 degrees (this is important to do before you start the mixing)

Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Romans soldiers. Read John 19:1-3.
Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30.
Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11.
Sprinkle a little salt into each child’s hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus’ followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27.
So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Ps. 34:8 and John 3:16.

Beat with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God’s eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isa. 1:18 and John 3:1-3.

Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus’ body was laid. Read Matt. 27:57-60.

Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus’ tomb was sealed. Read Matt. 27:65-66.

GO TO BED! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the Oven overnight. Jesus’ followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20 and 22.
On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Easter, Jesus’ followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. Read Matt. 28:1-9.
Easter is about so much more than bunnies and chocolate eggs. Make a memory with your children as you teach them about the amazing sacrifice of our Savior.
I am participating in Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday, Dining With Debbie , Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Tuesdays at the Table recipe exchanges. For more blogger recipes go to these links.

Comments

1. Dernhelm says

I made these for the first time last year and everyone enjoyed doing it so much, plus the little cookies are really tasty!

I'm glad you posted the recipe as I have misplaced mine! Can't wait to do these again!

Susan

2. Cindy says

Great lesson to go along with this recipe. I will have to save this one, and someday WHEN I have grandchildren will have to do this. Love it!

Hugs,
    Cindy

3. MrsJenB says

What a fantastic project to work on with the kids. It really is important to get the real message through, isn't it? Thank you so much for sharing this!

4. Kate @ The Gaines Gang says

I have had this for a few years and yet have done it with my kiddos. But this year we are so going to do this!

Thanks again for the inspiration.

5. Sherrie says

I have never heard the story told before in such a manner as being combined with a cookie recipe. It is amazing. I wished I had been able to share this story with my own daughter when she was younger. How beautiful, educational and so creative. Thank you so much for sharing. I too am offering something fun to make with children for today's recipe (edible flowers and not the banana bread that the title shows) but mine is not as wonderful a story as yours.

6. Sonya Schroeder says

Wow this is amazing. Thanks for sharing this. I can not wait to pass this on to my kids. I have always wanted to find a way to explain to them what Jesus did for us and this is perfect. Thanks Courtney!!

Hugs

7. heartnsoulcooking says

WOW!!! what a GREAT!!! way to make cookies with a AWESOME!!! story to go with them. THANKS!!! for posting this recipe.
    Geri

8. Jen@balancing Beautyand Bedlam says

YEA – so glad you linked. I am sharing this same recipe but I know it will be at least next week before I can make them and take the pic, so I am thrilled you beat me to it. It's too wonderful to pass on. :)

9. Tara says

What a wonderful idea! My oldest is allergic to nuts, though, and I'm wondering what might be a good alternative? Could I use mini chocolate chips or something similar?

10. Jennifer says

I love this idea. Thank you for sharing. I found you through Tasty Tuesday. I will definitely be doing this with my famiy this Easter and will be sharing it this week. Thanks again!

11. Smart Money Mom says

I can't wait to make these with my girlie. She always looks forward to her Bible Story at bedtime so I think she will really be engaged with the readings while making the cookies. I love your site!

12. Courtney (Women Living Well) says

Tara – I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you. I am unsure of what you could substitute for the nuts? I'm afraid the chocolate would melt and be messy but then again – I bet it would taste really good!!! If you give it a try let me know what happens! Thanks and sorry I don't have a better answer :-(

Much love,

13. Jenn says

I am going to make these for the first time this year with my kids… on Easter Sunday! =) I have friends who do these every year… I have yet to brave it!! Wish me Luck!!

14. oh amanda {impress your kids} says

I've seen this lots of times but never done it! Maybe we'll try it this year.

Thanks so much for the great post–and for linking up at Impress Your Kids!