14 years ago on our wedding day!
Just Married and about to take the ride of our lives!
14 years later – it’s been a bumpy but blessed ride!
And we’ve multiplied! Here’s the whole family outside the church doors where we were married! God is so good!
Tomorrow is our anniversary and I will begin answering the questions left in the comment section here. I won’t be able to get to them all. But I will cover as many as I can this month and then take a break from the topic of marriage in October. In November, I will revisit the topic of marriage and try to cover the questions that did not get answered this month.
But first, Here’s 14 things I’ve learned in 14 years of marriage!
1. My husband is not Jesus! He cannot fulfill all my emotional, spiritual or even physical needs.
2. I married a sinner. My husband married a sinner too. Grace – grace MUST be a part of a good marriage.
3. We must forgive each other over and over and over if we are going to have peace and joy in our marriage. “A good marriage is made up of two good forgivers.” ~ Spurgeon
4. Fighting is normal. I must admit it sure doesn’t feel normal when it’s happening. It’s miserable to fight with the one you love most.
5. Marriage is a tool of sanctification in my life. There is no other relationship on this planet that has challenged me more to the core, as mariage. It has shown me many of my weaknesses and spiritual short comings and has brought me closer to Christ.
6. Do the harder things. It’s easier to criticize and nag than it is encourage and build up.
7. We reap what we sow in marriage. The longer I live the more I can see clearly – the grass IS NOT greener. When my grass looks brown – and someone elses looks greener – I simply need to water my grass everyday till it’s green again!
8. I’m not really that great to be married to. I’d like to think I’m the bomb diggity and my hubby lucked out in scoring a wife like me to be married to (*wink) - but to be honest I have blindspots…things I don’t see that he very clearly does see and those things are annoying.
9. My husband doesn’t always show his love by his words or affection but often it’s through his faithfulness, his provision for the family, taking the trash out or taking the kids on a bike ride so I can have a quiet moment to myself.
10. My husband needs attention. He needs to be heard. He needs back rubs. He needs a cold drink when he’s been out in the heat. He needs me to be “into” him and “into” whatever he’s interested in…ie. politics, Ohio State Football, his business, airplanes… this is what MY husband is “into” therefore, this is what I’M “into”.
11. Giving my husband respect changes the way my husband sees me. Submission is like a muscle…the more I practice it, the stronger and easier it becomes.
12. My husband needs s*x…a lot! lol!
13. Reading good Christian books on marriage has helped me to understand my husband better. I want to continually be a student learning and growing in wisdom as a wife.
14. Marriage is hard work and can be a bumpy road at times. But if I hang on tight to the hem of Jesus and the hand of my husband – I’ll have the best ride of my life!
Dear Honey Love – Happy Anniversary! Thank you for your faithfulness and unconditional love through all the highs and lows. Thank you for giving me your heart, your leadership, two beautiful children, a home to care for and releasing me selflessly to have this ministry on-line. I love you more everyday and can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you!!! Happy Anniversary!
Walk with the King!