Crock Pot – French Dip Sandwiches

Janelle from Comfy In The Kitchen is with us again this week with one of my favorites of her recipes!  She shared this recipe with me over a year ago and I LOVED it the first time I made it! You will love it too!  Here’s what she writes:

This is one of my all time favorite sandwiches. I love how tender this roast is when it simmers all day in the crock pot!  Serve with a buttered bun, melted swiss, and au jus for dipping… Mmmm!

Trim off fat from roast

Slice red onions

a

In a medium pan heat oil on medium high and brown roast on both sides.
(This will not cook the meat on the inside, just the first 1/2 inch on the outside)

Add one can of french onion soup and 2 cups of beef broth to crock pot

Add roast to crock pot

Saute onions in the same oil and pan used for roast.

Place onions on roast, cover with lid and let simmer in crock pot on high for 6 hours.

Roast will be very tender and flake apart easily when done.

Open hoagie buns, butter and spread swiss cheese on one side. Broil for 5 mins until cheese is melted.

Add roast, onions, and au jus on top.

Slice and serve with a side of au jus! Mmmm…

French Dip Sandwiches(Makes 6)
3 lb boneless rump roast
1 can french onion soup
2 cups beef broth
1 large red onion sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil (for browning/sauteing)
6 hoagie bunsTrim fat from roast. Pour oil in a pan and heat on med-high, add roast. Brown roast on both sides. Place soup and broth in the crock pot. Add roast to the crock pot. Saute onions in the pan you used for the roast with the same oil/drippings. Place onions on top of roast and cover crock pot (your roast will not be completely covered). Let simmer on high for 6 hours. Roast will flake apart easily- tear pieces apart to place on buns. Butter buns, add swiss cheese to one side and broil for 5 mins. Place meat on the other side and top with onions and drizzle with au jus. Serve with a side of au jus for dipping.

Thank you Janelle for sharing this delicious recipe!

If you are in need of some fresh new recipes – then visiting Janelle’s blog at Comfy In the Kitchen is a must! She also has a Feasting In Fellowship Friday Link-Up Party happening right now – join the fun!!

Comments

1. Ginger Haney says

Just put this in the pot for supper. My cousin (who is also a Pastor) is with us a few days, writing a book… I am so happy to have this recipe to make his stay even more “hospitable”.. He is family, but more importantly a Pastor and it does my heart good to be a blessing to God’s Man :) Thanks for your blog.. love it so much.. so encouraging.. even for an “old” lady of 52 :)

I’m trying this today! I couldn’t find a rump roast but I think what I got will turn out. I’m using some homemade onion soup mix seasoning and water in place of the canned soup!

3. Ana says

hello! this sounds incredible and can’t wait to try it … have question about au jus … do you use juices from crock pot … or purchase? …just not sure of that part. thanks!

4. Crafty Mama says

Ohhh man, these sound sooooo good! I had saved this recipe months back and never made it. I’m adding it to my menu plan for the month!! :)

5. Nicole says

I made this for my husband and I and this was DELICIOUS……planned on doing it for a football crowd of about 10 and was thinking a 6lb roast and just doubling everything. Any idea of how much longer it should cook for?

• Yvonne says

Autumn,

Yes, I have made roasts from the frozen state, you have to let them cook longer. 10-12 hrs and use an instant read thermometer to check temp for doneness.

6. taimie says

can you make this the day before and put in the crock pot but cook it the next morning? I do not have allot of time in the morning to do all the steps, so was thinking I would have it all done, and turn it on in the morning before I leave for work

7. Mao says

Great recipe! I followed the recipe to a T with the exception of the rump roast. I had top sirloin beef roast in the freezer and used that instead. I plan on making it again tonite for dinner and decided that I will try provolone cheese instead of swiss. I’m a cheese kind of girl; the more the merrier. Thanks for a quick and easy recipe!

8. sarah says

just wanted to let you know that I recently cooked this recipe for my family and they loved it.. Thank you for sharing it. Have a Blessed 2014.