Easy Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings

Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen is showing us what to do with all of our fall apples – make Amazingly Easy Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings!!!  I’ve had these at her house and they are DEEEE-licious!!!  She writes:

I’ll never forget the first time I tried these Apple Dumplings at my Mother-in-Law’s house. She walked out of the kitchen wearing oven mitts holding the pan in her hands. She had a huge grin on her face and said I would never believe it- “Mountain Dew” was the *secret ingredient! “WHAT?!, who would ever think to put Mountain Dew in Apple Dumplings?!” I thought. Truly, I did not think they were going to be very good. But, I love my Mother-in-Law, so with a smile, my fork held high, and the silly comment “To my very FIRST caffeinated apple dumpling!” I dug in. “Mmmmm….WOW, are you serious!? Mountain Dew is in these?! These are delicious Kathy! Wohoo!” I said to her. I not only said it..I meant it…WOWSA! Alas, I have put aside my typical apple dumpling recipe (the kind that takes more time that I would like to admit) and showcase the most delicious EASY Apple Dumpling recipe you would ever stink you teeth into…enjoy ladies!

Peel, core and slice 3 Granny Smith apples (that is all you will need, honest).

Place one slice of apple onto one triangle of crescent roll. Start at the wide bottom side and roll up a bit, tuck in sides , then continue rolling.

Place in a buttered 9×13 pan

In a medium sauce pan add 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla. Heat on medium high heat until boiling.

Pour sauce over apple dumpling then add Mountain Dew to the sides.

Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for appx 35 mins.

Here they are fresh and piping hot out of the oven. Serve with vanilla ice cream. This recipe makes a GREAT conversation piece…ask everyone to guess the *secret ingredient…they never will, hehe.

Easy Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings

Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Serves: 12

Ingredients:
  • 3 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 2 (10 oz) cans pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls (I used Grands)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (for spinkling)
  • 1 (12 oz ) can of Mountain Dew
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Butter a 9×13 dish and set aside
  3. Peel, core and slice apples
  4. Unroll crescent rolls
  5. Take one crescent roll and place one piece of apple at the bottom of the triangle- roll up enclosing the sides. Make sure the apple is completely sealed and enclosed.
  6. Continue doing this – if your apple slices are small, put a couple in.
  7. Place your dumplings into your 9×13
  8. Make your sauce by combining butter, sugars, and vanilla in a saucepan on medium high heat- bring to a slight boil.
  9. Pour sauce over dumplings.
  10. Add Mountain Dew to the sides.
  11. Sprinkle with cinnamon
  12. Bake uncovered for 35 mins.
  13. Serve with vanilla ice cream!
Thank you for another amazingly easy and tasty recipe Janelle!

Janelle

Janelle is a Christian, a Wife, a Stay at Home Mom of 3 young children and a proud- to- claim- it “Foodie”. She absolutely loves to cook and typically has an audience of 3 children, pulled up on chairs, taking turns pouring ingredients into bowls. Her spiritual gifts are a mix of “hospitality and evangelism” and is here in the center of God’s will hoping to help you get a little more “comfy in your kitchen”! You can find her displaying step-by-step photos of her recipes, giving devotionals,and sharing meal ministry stories on her blog.

You can follow Janelle’s blog at ComfyInTheKitchen.com Every Friday she has a recipe link-up for bloggers – you gotta check it out!
Follower her on facebook at Comfy In The Kitchen
Follow her on Twitter at ComfynKitchen

Comments

Yummy! That recipe looks delicious! We don’t have crescent rolls in the UK but I recently bought Pilsnury Croissants to make your chicken crescent rolls. I wonder if you could tell me if there is much difference between the store bought crescent roll packs and the croissants. When rolled out they look identical to your pictures. Thank you once again Janelle.
    Julie in Scotland

2. Shana says

I have a recipe that is pretty much the same! I have used fresh peaches instead of apples and it is delicious! Also, there have been times that I didn’t have Mt Dew and used Sierra Mist. That’s a way to eat caffeine free dumplings ;)

Making these for our next study group meeting! Looks wonderful! Thanks for a great recipe Courtney and never would’ve thought of using Mt. Dew, my sister will LOVE that! She’s on her way in from AZ so we’ll have to have these sooner than our study group! We’ll get practice! :)
    Always Experiencing Him,
    Jody

These look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. My son is on a special diet though and I will need to find a substitue for the cresent rolls – He can have Rhodes frozen dinner rolls so I wonder if I let the little balls thaw if I could use those in place of the crescent rolls. Thanks to Shana for the Seirra Mist suggestion instead of the Mt. Dew because he can have the Seirra Mist. :)

Also, our son reacts to apples but can have Jicama – my husband made an amazing Jicama crisp subbing the Jicama for the apples. I might give this a try with Jicama instead.

5. X says

Why would somebody want to ruin the taste and nutrition of apples with all of the added fat, sugar, white flour and other junk?

• Leslie says

I love the taste of fresh apples, too. But every once in a while it’s nice to dress them up differently. My husband and son don’t like fruits and veggies by themselves, so I will oftentimes have to hide them in recipes that appeal to their tastebuds. This is one of those recipes they would love :) And I appreciate the gals who have offered substitutions based on dietary needs or just looking to cut calories ~ great ideas! Thank you!

6. Cheryl says

This recipe looks amazing. As I am a Brit currently residing in Tokyo, I am uncertain what Mountain Dew is. Please can you explain what it is so I can try and locate an equivilent.

Mountain Dew is a fizzy soft drink, we first came across it in Florida (we are British), but supermarkets here are now selling it. It’s a fruity drink not dissimilar to 7Up but there isn’t a direct equivalent.

7. Jess says

I saw this today and was inspired but didn’t have a lot of the ingredients , I used tinned peaches, puff pasty and ginger beer. I still made the syrup the same, it was really yumm! Thanks heaps!

8. angela says

Im trying this out right now ****WARNING*** MY ENTIRE HOUSE IS SMOKED OUT FROM THAT MOUNTAIN DEW!!!!! Maybe try water instead because this is CRAZY AND MY HOUSE REEKS! NEEDLESS TO SAY IM NOT HAPPY!!!!

• angela says

So had a little difficulty with my oven BUT.. These were a HUGE Success! I will Def be making these again and after tasting them, they’d also make a nice holiday breakfast treat

9. G says

2 questions:

1. Are these supposed to be crispy or soggy?
    2. I saw a similar recipe on the net, yet they used sierra mist. How do you think the choice of soda would effect the taste?

thanks!
    God Bless!
    -g

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably you spend a lot of
      time writing, i know how to save you a lot of work, there is an online tool that creates readable, SEO friendly posts in minutes, just
      type in google – laranitas free content source