So now that we have moved into our new home it is time for a new set of house rules. For the past 6 years we’ve had three simple rules:
1. Obey right away, all the way, with a cheerful heart.
2. Honor your parents
3. No hitting, kicking, pushing or tackling.
But after reading the book The Duggars: 20 and Counting! I have decided to turn over a new leaf in our new home and attempt to implement the Duggar’s house rules. (If you’ve watched their show on television you have seen that these parent’s have 18 well behaved children.) Their rules are more detailed than my “simple” rules and I hope to see some growth in my children in all of these areas. Here they are:
1. Always use soft words, even when you don’t feel well.
2. Always display kind actions, even if you have been mistreated.
3. Show joyful attitudes even when no one is looking.
4. Have sincere motives with no thought of self-gain.
5. Think pure thoughts.
6. Always give a good report of others. Never tale-bear unless physical harm will come to someone. Use Matthew 18 as your standard.
7. Never raise a hand to hit.
8. Never raise a foot to kick.
9. Never raise an object to throw.
10. Never raise a voice to yell.
11. Never raise an eye to scowl.
12. Use one toy/activity at a time.
13. Never let the sun go down on your wrath. (Don’t go to be angry or guilty.)
14. Amendment J.O.Y.: Put Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last. Make serving your family a priority.
If you are like me and feel at times like there’s chaos in your house – maybe the Duggar rules can help you too. I must say that implementing the Duggars “Chore System” has done wonders for accomplishing orderly chores daily. We have used the system seamlessly for 9 months now! I am hopeful that these rules will work as well.
Do you have house rules? What are they?
Walk with the King!
Need more encouragement? Pick up a copy of my book: “Women Living Well: Finding Your Joy in God, Your Man, Your Kids and Your Home.”