Do you struggle with gossip and the words that come out of your mouth?
God knows what you are going to say before you even say it. He knows the intent of your heart.
Consider…if God walked into the room today, would you change the way you talk?
God is always in the room with you.
Let’s examine our words against the Word of God.
God’s Word brings freedom- He has the power to help you with your struggle to stop gossiping, so you can walk in obedience to Him!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Feel Like Gossiping-
1. Do not be a fool- practice restraining your lips.
Whoever utters slander is a fool. When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. ~Proverbs 10:18-19
2. Be gentle with others. Be quick to notice others strengths and slow to point out others flaws.
Speak evil of no one, avoid quarreling, be gentle, and show perfect courtesy toward all people. ~Titus 3:2
3. Be wise with who you spend time with. If you are with people who always gossip, you might be tempted to do so as well.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler. ~Proverbs 20:19
4. Do not speak evil against anyone and do not judge.
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? ~James 4:11-12
5. Consider that your words might lead others to sin.
Avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness. ~2 Timothy 2:16
6. Think before you speak- you might risk ending a friendship based on the words that you say.
A dishonest man spreads strife, and a whisperer separates close friends. ~Proverbs 16:28
7. Watch critical remarks – they are red flags revealing a proud, envious, selfish or angry heart.
I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. ~Matthew 12:36-37
8. Focus on being a trustworthy person and not sharing others secrets.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered. ~Proverbs 11:13
9. Give grace to your brothers and sisters in Christ.
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. ~Ephesians 4:29
10. Practice self-control with your words. Spend time with God in His Word and in prayer.
Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! ~Psalm 141:3
You can know a person’s character by their choice of words. Would your family, friends or co-workers say you are a gossiper?
It doesn’t matter how pretty your hair, make-up or clothes are, it’s the words coming out of your mouth that determine your true beauty.
Purify your heart through the reading of God’s word and put aside all anger, bitterness, malice, slander, envy, and self-pity. Put order on your tongue as you Walk with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.