10 Verses For When You Are Struggling to Tell the Truth
Do you sometimes find it hard to speak the truth?
Do you struggle with lying?
We will never master perfect control of our words. Daily we need to align our hearts with God’s heart. It is important to filter our thoughts and words through the strainer of God’s word and repent when the words we speak aren’t truthful.
We can make great strides through the power of the Holy Spirit towards maturity and self-control of our tongues.
God’s Word teaches us to speak the truth. He has the power to help you with your words so that you can walk in integrity!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Are Struggling to Tell the Truth-
1. Truthful words last – while a lie can be very short lived and is usually discovered.
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. ~Proverbs 12:19
2. God’s Word says that lying is part of the old self. He commands us not to lie to one another.
Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices. ~Colossians 3:9
3. We must put away falsehood and speak truthful words to one another.
Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. ~Ephesians 4:25
4. It is easy to speak eloquently and pretend to be close to God but God sees the heart. Over time, when we take a look at the entirety of someone’s life, we can detect who is real and authentic — and who is not.
Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out. ~Proverbs 10:9
5. If we are not faithful in the little things, we will not be trusted with bigger things.
One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. ~Luke 16:10
6. We must not be deceitful. Even “little white lies” are not truthful. Turn away from evil and pursue peace.
Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. ~1 Peter 3:10-11
7. Do you want other people to lie to you? Speak honestly with others as you would want them to do to you.
As you wish that others would do to you, do so to them. ~Luke 6:31
8. You can’t hide from God- he knows your words, your thoughts and your habits.
For nothing is hidden that will not be made manifest, nor is anything secret that will not be known and come to light. ~Luke 8:17
9. When we repent of our sin, we are forgiven and cleansed. As we believe, trust and follow God – sin loses its power.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. ~1 John 1:9
10. God is faithful- He will always provide a way out! As we obey God and his Word, doing what is right becomes easier and easier and love, joy, peace and freedom – true freedom – appears!
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. ~1 Corinthians 10:13
Lying may feel like it helps in the moment- but not only are you being disobedient to God but – the truth will usually be brought to light.
Being known as a liar makes it difficult to form solid and honest relationships.
If you struggle with lying or being deceitful, the Holy Spirit is inside of you, and he wants to free you. He wants to help you overcome the temptation to lie.
Surrender that struggle to the Lord right now and ask him to help you not gratify that desire but instead walk by the Spirit.
Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of Proverbs. It is going to instruct you in your marriage, friendships, your work ethic, speech, and finances. It deals with anger and lust and evil and righteousness and so much more!
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of Proverbs – along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!
Good morning, Sunshine.I’m so thankful for your leadership too all of us,a great read and a great reminder of all His ways to walk with the King.I need reminders to change,reflect,and grow where roots take place from the inside out. So special. Thanks.
This is so insightful..thanks.