10 Verses For When You Lose a Loved One
Have you suffered from the pain of losing a loved one?
I’m so sorry. My heart breaks with you for your loss.
There is an agony of pain and fear surrounding death that can grip and immobilize us if we do not understand the resurrection power and peace of God. Because of Christ’s resurrection, we can face startling news and the darkest of nights with strength and quiet confidence. We can trust that our God is in complete control and that we are not alone. God loves us and he is with us.
God’s Word helps us when we are struggling with the loss of someone close to us. He has the power to comfort and heal your broken heart so that you can walk in his strength.
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Lose a Loved One-
1. When you feel overwhelmed with sadness, ask God for his strength. He promises to give it to you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. ~Psalm 73:26
2. Even when you don’t feel God’s presence, He tells us that he is near. Choose to have faith and believe that He is with you,
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. ~Psalm 34:18
3. When we die – the work we have begun for Christ –goes forward.
Look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:18
4. Even though our hearts may grieve- we are not without hope. One day we will be reunited with our loved ones again in heaven.
We do not want you to be uninformed about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. ~1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
5. If we believe in Jesus and receive him as our Lord and Savior – when we die, we will fall asleep and immediately wake up in God’s presence. Can you imagine? Our loving God will look us in the eye and say… welcome home.
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.” ~John 11:25-26
6. God promises his peace. Are you practicing the presence of God in your life? Do you sense his presence – are you listening or are you hurrying through your day just surviving it?
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. ~John 14:27
7. There is NO pain or sorrow in heaven- find comfort in this truth!
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. ~Revelation 21:4
8. Our home in heaven is a wonderful place – Jesus is there! Your loved ones who have trusted in Jesus, are there.
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? ~John 14:1-2
9. Be encouraged by God’s words- and encourage those around you who are struggling with loss.
Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words. ~1 Thessalonians 4:17-18
10. One thing remains constant – God’s presence. He will be with you guiding you, counseling you, and teaching you through the Holy Spirit.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. ~Joshua 1:9
I know it hurts to live without your love one. That gap and grief is real and with the Lord’s help he will bring you through this season of grief, as you move forward.
Hold onto resurrection hope – better days are ahead.
Once you accept this truth, you will find an inner strength and peace that cannot be rattled. Earthly disappointments, trials, and suffering will no longer control you. And even though we feel pain and sorrow, because of the resurrection truth, we can keep on going.
A hard truth is that the entire human race will be raised from the dead but not all will join us in heaven. May we remember to share the gospel truth with everyone we know and also live what we believe.
Be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord because your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:58)
Jesus loves you! Keep walking with the King.
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of John. Jesus knows our greatest need is Him! He knows our hurts, our struggles, our worries and our fears and he did not leave us alone. He sent the Holy Spirit to comfort us and guide us.
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of John- along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!
April 10th this year is going to be exactly one year since my daddy went to be with the Lord.
We have known peace in God that the world can never ever give.
Thanks for this encouragement from the scriptures.It goes a long way.