10 Verses For When You Need Discernment
Are you in need of more wisdom from God for your daily life?
Are you seeking discernment in a particular area of your life?
Discernment is essential in the life of a believer. Every day we make countless decisions both big and small like what we will eat, wear, say, where we will go, how we will spend our money, how we will spend our time, what we will watch or listen to and what we believe.
Discernment both protects us and guides us.
If you’re seeking discernment with something in your life, meditate on these encouraging verses and allow God to fill you with all wisdom, peace, and hope as you trust in Him!
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Need Discernment-
1. The search for wisdom begins with the fear of the Lord. To fear God is to have reverence and humility before Him.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. ~Proverbs 1:7
2. When we pray, we can tell God everything – the entire story of what is happening. God already sees all but there is power in us laying it out before God. As we pray, God gives us clarity and discernment to handle the situation.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. ~James 1:5
3. We need to admit that we need help. We need God’s wisdom! We need to search for it as one digs for gold!
Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments. ~Psalm 119:66
4. Are you seeing fruit in your life? God’s wisdom is full of good fruit.
The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. ~James 3:17
5. Wisdom is found in being obedient to God’s Word.
Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. ~Matthew 7:24
6. A desire to be faithful and loyal to God wholeheartedly, out of a reverence of his mighty power and deep love for us, results in wisdom.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6
7. Wisdom is found in the turning away from evil.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. ~Romans 12:2
8. Wisdom is found in restraining your words- set a guard over your mouth.
Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. ~Proverbs 17:27
9. Are you confused about a decision? God does not bring confusion, but peace.
For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. ~1 Corinthians 14:33
10. God cares more about our character than our possessions and popularity. If God offered to give you whatever you asked for – what would you ask for? Would God be pleased with this desire?
If you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. ~Proverbs 2:1-5
Sin comes in so many packages. It can come in the form of greed, gossip, slander, anger, discontentment, hatred, lies, gluttony, worry, fear, jealousy, pride and more. We all struggle in different areas of our lives where we need great wisdom to help us overcome our struggles or to determine our paths.
Humility is the key. None of us are immune from needing God’s wisdom or from slipping into sin. But when I surrender my heart, my thoughts and my day to God and turn to him in his Word and prayer, He renews my ungodly thoughts. He changes me from the inside out and he leads me into his ways of wisdom. Let’s humbly draw near to God and His Word today.
Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of Ruth. If you have faced loss and wonder if God really loves you or if God is involved in the details of your life, then this study is for you. Ruth’s courage in the face of adversity will inspire you to trust God with your future.
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of Ruth- along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!