What is one area of your life where you have become selfish?
Do you find yourself spending a lot of your time seeking comfort and success for yourself?
Those who are selfish tend to lack empathy and get so focused on themselves that they do not think of others. Selfishness hurts those around us and can lead to disorder and dysfunction.
Is there disorder in your home, workplace, friendships or church? Perhaps selfish ambition has reared its ugly head. All of us will struggle with this at times and so we need wisdom from above – to be pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.
God’s Word helps us when we are struggling with feelings of selfishness. He has the power to help you with your emotions so that you can walk in obedience and be a blessing to others!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Feel Selfish-
1. Love and selfishness do not go together.
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. ~1 Corinthians 13:4-5
2. Being selfless does not mean that you do not take care of your own needs. You just need to also be humble and care for other’s needs as well.
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. ~Philippians 2:3-4
3. Jesus tells us that we must daily deny ourselves in order to follow him. We can’t be so focused on our own passions and ambitions that it turns into selfishness.
Jesus said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” ~Luke 9:23
4. God tells us he is pleased when we share with others.
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. ~Hebrews 13:16
5. Seek God with your whole heart and look for ways to bless others.
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ~Acts 20:35
6. Selfish ambition will destroy relationships. Are you willing to lose someone close to you because of it?
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. ~James 3:16
7. Generosity and good works are a sign of God’s work in our lives and reflect a heart that is honoring to God.
Do good, be rich in good works, be generous and ready to share. ~1 Timothy 6:18
8. God commands us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” ~Galatians 5:14
9. Seek God and turn to him throughout the day. Pursue his peace daily.
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30
10. Do not let the enemy destroy you any further. Today is the day to give your selfish ways to God and start living in freedom.
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! ~Psalm 119:36
There is a battle between the flesh and the Spirit because the two are opposed to each other. The only way to not gratify the desires of the flesh is to be led by the Holy Spirit.
What changes do you need to make so that you are not wasting the years God has given you, on only yourself?
In order to receive God’s help, we must ask him for it and acknowledge our weaknesses. Then our strength will be renewed and refreshed as we walk forward in God’s purpose.
Surrender your selfishness to the Lord right now and ask him to help you walk by the Spirit.
Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of James. James is considered one of the most practical books of the New Testament. It focuses on wise Christian living transformed by faith.
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of James – along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!