Do you struggle with feeling lonely?
God made us with a built in need for connection and relationships. But we all have times when we feel all alone. If you’ve ever showed up to a party early and there was no one there that you knew, you know that feeling.
Things like the death of a loved one, a divorce, failing health, financial issues, marriage problems, parenting problems or being the subject of gossip — all lead to distress and can lead to feelings of loneliness.
Even positive things like getting a new job, moving to a new neighborhood, having a new baby, or joining a new Bible Study can make us vulnerable to feelings of loneliness. No matter how many friends you may have or how many good things are happening externally in your life, loneliness is an internal feeling. And when loneliness settles in, we can feel confused and like God has turned his back on us.
Do you feel like God has turned His back on you today? He has not! God does see your loneliness!
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Feel Lonely–
1. Do not be afraid- seek God’s comfort and presence.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. ~Psalm 23:4
2. God is with you at all times. He will never leave your side!
Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age. ~Matthew 28:20
3. Have courage- do not fear! No matter what you are going through, God will not forsake you.
Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you. ~Deuteronomy 31:6
4. God’s love is so amazing- nothing can separate you from it!
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 8:38-39
5. Give praise to God because he knows every detail of your situation and your feelings- He created you and knows what is best for you.
You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? ~Psalm 139:5-7
6. Cry out to God. Tell Him your feelings – list your troubles to Him!
O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you. ~Psalm 38:9
7. Know that God hears you and is your refuge and strength.
Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. ~1 Peter 5:7
8. Lift your eyes to Him! Seek God for help- don’t look to this world for it.
I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. ~Psalm 121:1-2
9. Don’t just trust God in the good times- trust Him in the bad times as well. He will meet all of your needs.
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 4:19
10. Walk in the spirit so that you do not allow loneliness to control you. Spend quality time with God in His Word and in prayer.
And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. ~Isaiah 58:11
You are not alone.
When you feel lonely, remember that you are not alone. Go in deeper with the Lord and enjoy intimacy with Christ. Fight for joy and contentment and keep taking your worries and fears to the Lord. Keep holding onto hope.
On days when the pain and struggle seems like it is too much to bear and then — the night turns long – hang on – because morning always comes and there is new joy in the morning.
God is with you and he loves you. Call on him and he will help you.
Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
Here are 20 more verses about loneliness: