Do you struggle with asking others for help because you don’t want to admit you need help?
Do you sometimes struggle with trying to impress others?
Do you find yourself valuing your own opinion or ways of doing things over others?
Do you struggle with pride?
So many things can tempt us to be prideful and seek self glorification rather than God’s glory. Pride is a serious sin and can ruin our lives if we don’t humble ourselves before God.
God’s Word brings freedom- He has the power to help you with your pride so that you can walk in obedience to Him!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Feel Prideful-
1. Pride destroys things and can cause you to fall.
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. ~Proverbs 16:18
2. Humble yourself and allow God alone to exalt you.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you. ~1 Peter 5:6
3. God opposes the proud. He wants you to realize your need for Him.
God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. ~James 4:6
4. God gives you wisdom and insight when you humble yourself.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom. ~Proverbs 11:2
5. Pride is deceptive and can easily get entangled with our desires. Examine your motives and desires- do they align with God’s truth or with the world?
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. ~1 John 2:16
6. Don’t boast in your achievements or possessions but instead boast in Lord and how amazing he is!
Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” ~Jeremiah 9:23-24
7. It’s easy to think our ways are right and pure- but remember that God always knows your true motives. You can’t hide from Him!
All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirit. ~Proverbs 16:2
8. Do not be selfish. Considering other’s needs helps us to walk in humility.
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. ~Philippians 2:3-4
9. Be willing to learn from others; don’t be a know-it-all.
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. ~Romans 12:16
10. Love does not boast or insist on its own way. Draw near to God and allow His love to fill you and guide you.
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. ~1 Corinthians 13:4-5
Remember that humility does not mean that you deny the gifts God has given you. It also does not mean that you put yourself down or have low self-esteem. You should pursue God’s will for you and use the gifts He has given you- just make sure your motives are not to impress others or draw attention to yourself.
Pride can deceive us and slowly creep into our hearts. We must continually examine our motives against God’s truth. His Word can set you free! Humble yourselves and keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of Deuteronomy. The tone of Deuteronomy is one of legacy and love. The heart is that the children of Israel – and us today – would obey God because we love Him.
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of Deuteronomy – along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!