Do you struggle with regret?
Do you feel weighed down by past mistakes?
Messes come in a lot of different ways. Sometimes they come through a strain in a relationship, a misunderstanding with a family member, a mistake at work or perhaps financial trouble at home. We all have regrets, failures, temptations, struggles with certain sins and past pain and failures that can trip us up in life.
You may be looking at your life and thinking: “the mess I am in is absolutely, hands down – NOT good.“ But your story is not done being written by God!
God’s Word brings healing- He has the power to help you with your feelings of regret so that you can walk in freedom and obedience to Him!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Are Having Regrets-
1. Confess any sin that may be causing you to have regrets. God will forgive you and cleanse you!
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. ~1 John 1:9
2. Don’t let regret lead you to self-destruction, but allow it to lead you to repentance.
For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. ~2 Corinthians 7:10
3. Remember that the enemy wants you to keep beating yourself up with regrets- don’t give him a foothold.
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. ~1 Peter 5:8
4. When you confess your sins, believe and trust fully that Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross cleanses you from all transgressions.
As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. ~Psalm 103:12
5. Trust that God will use any of your mistakes for your good and His glory.
We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. ~Romans 8:28
6. God is doing a new thing- He will make a way when it seems impossible!
Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. ~Isaiah 43:18-19
7. Trust that God is developing your character through your struggles.
We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. ~Romans 5:3-5
8. Seek God- allow Him to be your help and shield as you wait for Him.
Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. ~Psalm 33:20-21
9. Spend quality time in God’s Word and in prayer. He is the only one who can restore you.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. ~Psalm 23:1-3
10. Don’t let your past mistakes hold you back. Let go and press on toward God’s calling for your life.
Forget what lies behind and strain forward to what lies ahead; press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. ~Philippians 3:13-14
I don’t know what mess you are in today… but this I do know – through faith, God can turn your life completely around. God can turn your mess into something beautiful if you will surrender all of yourself – including your mess – to Him.
But this is important to remember. Surrendering to God takes courage and when we surrender our mess we must remember this…God doesn’t always take our mess and tie it up neatly in a pretty bow with a happy ending. What He wants to do is use our mess – use our story – use our pain, heartaches, struggles and past –to comfort, encourage and help others.
Let the Lord redeem your mess today – take it to His throne in prayer. Confess any sin you need to confess and lay down all your past mistakes and sins at His feet in faith and ask Him to make it beautiful. Then watch and wait. Be patient and wait on the Lord- He’s got this! Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.