Welcome back to Week 2 of the Making Your Home a Haven Challenge! Keep your candles burning and your thankful heart going and let’s add to it!
This week’s Spiritual Focus is Meditation.
Some days a scheduled quiet time just can not happen. Emergencies, sicknesses, a busy season at work, or family members who need us, just simply make it impossible. It would be wrong for us to put pressure on ourselves to always create the “Pinterest Perfect” quiet time. Life just does not work that way.
So what’s the solution when an extended time alone with the Lord is not possible?
Learn how to meditate on God’s Word.
Joshua 1:8 says, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it.”
Meditating is essentially soaking in God’s Word. Like a sponge, sit and linger over God’s Word. Take in the living water and be refreshed.
Meditating goes hand in hand with memorization. If you are memorizing, then most likely you are also meditating. But it is possible to meditate and not memorize.
Here’s How To Meditate on One Passage of Scripture for a Week
1. Choose the passage of Scripture for the week. My favorite passages to meditate on come from Psalms, Proverbs and the Gospels.
2. Write the passage on a note card and slip it in your pocket. Pull it out periodically and read over it. Keep it in your purse all week long, and pull it out at convenient times and read through it.
3. Open your Bible to that passage, and place it on the kitchen counter. All day long, when you walk through the kitchen, pause, read the passage, and then move on.
4. Read the passage out loud. Read it to yourself, and read it to the children during breakfast and lunchtime.
5. Read the passage first thing in the morning. Read the pas- sage as soon as you get out of bed so it’s the first thing on your mind that morning.
6. Reread the passage before you go to bed at night. Bookend your days with the reading of this passage of Scripture.
7. Write the verses at the top of your to-do list. This way, every time you look over your to-do list, you can review the Scripture passage.
Squeeze every drip of nourishment out of the passage all day long through these short readings of Scripture. Meditate on God’s Word day and night, and you will soon find your life transformed by the renewing of your mind!
So pause right now and consider…what passage of scripture would you like to meditate on this week?
You could choose an entire chapter – like I love Psalm 46 – the entire chapter. Or you could choose individual verses on a topic that you are struggling with.
If you are not sure – here’s some blog posts I’ve written that have verses that you could print out (or write out) and use:
Most of these blog posts have a printable with the verses. You could print multiple copies and place them around your house and read them over and over this week. God’s Word is alive and powerful! I know He is going to move in your life and speak to you – as you meditate on His Word!
Week 2 – Challenge
Keep your candle going and add to it – soft music everyday in your home. Choose worship, classical, jazz, or another form of peaceful music that you enjoy. Focus on good, peaceful and true thoughts and let the frustrations of this world go. Rest and release all of your worries to the Lord.
Burning candles and soft music –change the atmosphere of the home.
While the rest of my home may be messy – my candles keep on burning and my soft music…keeps on playing.
Morning, noon and night they serve me. My candle serves me with a flickering warm light, a pleasant scent, and a reminder to turn to God as my source of strength and help.
My music serves me with a soothing sound.
They don’t make messes, they don’t need managed, they just simply bless me and my family.
So let’s get started!
**Share with us in the comment section – what passage of scripture have you chosen to meditate on this week and what is your favorite music to play in your home?
Have a great week in God’s Word and keep your candles burning and prayers of Thanksgiving going!!! 🙂
For daily encouragement during this challenge
don’t forget to follow me out on –> Instagram!
The ALL NEW 3-Month Habit Trackers are
available on Amazon NOW.
These newly released 3-Month Habit Trackers are a great companion guide to our series but they ARE NOT necessary to join us!
These trackers include a Prayer Request Tracker, Proverbs Tracker, Old and New Testament Tracker, Sleep Tracker, Calorie Tracker, Health Tracker, Housework Tracker, Notes Tracker, Gratitude Tracker, Meal Planning Tracker plus 90 Journaling Pages in the back.
All three Habit Trackers have identical interiors.
This post contains an affiliate link.