Do you have unhealthy habits in your life that are hard to break?
Have you tried to change your bad habits, but continue to struggle with them over and over again?
Over 50% of human behavior is habit driven. As we strive to develop good habits…bad habits reveal themselves as obstacles. It’s important to identify our obstacles and create solutions to our roadblocks, so we can reach our goals. We must be self-controlled, self-disciplined, self-motivated and willing to put in the hard work.
God gives us the power and strength to overcome bad habits. He wants you to succeed and to glorify him with your life!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses For When You Struggle with Breaking Bad Habits-
1. If you’re about to make a bad choice, God will always provide a way out- but you must choose it.
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. ~1 Corinthians 10:13
2. Be humble and ask for prayer- don’t isolate yourself.
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. ~James 5:16
3. If your inner dialogue is negative, you will sabotage yourself. You NEED to give yourself grace and truth, so you have the strength to fight another day.
Put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. ~Ephesians 4:22-24
4. God’s Spirit is alive in you- He will give you strength. Honor him with your body.
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? ~1 Corinthians 3:16
5. The enemy does not rest – he wants to lie to us about ourselves. Do not believe him. God has equipped you to extinguish his flaming darts!
In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one. ~Ephesians 6:16
6. Be obedient to God’s voice and not the voices of this world.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. ~James 4:7
7. Identify unhealthy people in your life – is there anyone who is a bad influence on you?
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” ~1 Corinthians 15:33
8. Seek God for wisdom, discernment, and strength. He cares about you and wants to help you overcome your struggles.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. ~1 Peter 5:6-7
9. God will give you strength- but you must have a plan. Setting a daily time to complete your goal can be effective in creating new habits. Having a plan is the first step in creating a framework that is strong.
I can do all things through him who strengthens me. ~Philippians 4:13
10. God has already equipped you with self-control, but you must use it and do the work!
God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. ~2 Timothy 1:7
What were your obstacles this past week? Identify them. Now – let’s create a solution.
When it comes to building a house – the framework is vital to the strength of the structure. A solid frame will mean a solid house for decades to come. Let’s apply the same concept to our new habits.
If we build our habits without a framework, then when we run into an obstacle, we will fail. Let’s build a strong framework for our new habits.
Stay committed and put in the hard work. Keep going – stay the course! You got this!
Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
Today is the perfect time for a change!
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend Women Living Well’s 3-Month Habit Trackers!
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the 3- Month Habit Trackers along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!
If you always think, “someday I’ll begin.”
Then today is your someday! Your future self will thank you!
Inside the Women Living Well 3-Month Habit Trackers you will find:
- A place to track your prayer requests and Bible reading
- A Health Tracker
- A Sleep Tracker
- A Calorie Tracker
- A Housework Tracker
- A Meal Planning Tracker
- A Gratitude Tracker
- A Notes Tracker
- Journaling Pages