10 Verses For When You Struggle to Control Your Tongue
Do you have a hard time controlling the words that come out of your mouth, especially when you are hurt or angry?
Do you struggle with gossip, complaining, or criticizing others?
I long to be a woman who is filled with life giving words of grace and mercy. But the reality is – I stumble in many ways. And when I stumble, it brings pain to others and to my own soul.
God knows what we are going to say before we even say it. He knows the intent of our heart.
God’s Word brings freedom. God has the power to help you control your tongue, so you can walk in obedience to Him!
Let’s take a look together at what His Word says.
Here’s 10 Verses for When You Struggle to Control Your Tongue-
1. Guard your mouth by pausing and thinking before you speak. When you feel tempted to raise your voice, purposely lower your voice to just above a whisper.
Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin. ~Proverbs 13:3
2. Do not allow both blessing and cursing to come from your mouth. Honor God with your words.
No human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. ~James 3:8-10
3. Make it your goal to speak healing words.
There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. ~Proverbs 12:18
4. Aim to be a honest person with integrity. Lying gets you nowhere. You will eventually be caught in your lies and have to deal with the consequences.
Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment. ~Proverbs 12:19
5. Watch sarcasm – it usually reveals a bitter heart.
For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. ~Matthew 12:34
6. You can know a woman’s character by her choice of words. If you lack wisdom with your words, ask God for it and spend time in His Word.
Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent. ~Proverbs 17:27-28
7. Work on filtering your words. Strive to be gentle and gracious toward your husband, and children FIRST (who you are at home is who you really are!) and then to others outside the home.
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. ~Colossians 4:6
8. Guarding your mouth does not mean that you don’t have a voice. You can still speak up and share your feelings- but choose soft answers instead of harsh words.
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. ~Proverbs 15:1
9. Practice self-control with your emotions. When we speak rapidly, usually we become unkind.
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. ~Proverbs 31:26
10. Have a teachable spirit and let your lips speak praise, not hurtful things. Purify your heart through the reading of God’s word and put aside all anger, bitterness, malice, slander, envy and self-pity.
My lips will pour forth praise, for you teach me your statutes. My tongue will sing of your word, for all your commandments are right. ~Psalm 119:171-172
We will never master perfect control of our words. Forever we will need to daily align our heart with God’s word, filtering our thoughts and words through the strainer of God’s word and repenting when the words we speak hurt others.
But together – we can make great strides through the power of the Holy Spirit towards maturity and self-control.
Let’s commit today to surrender the words we say to God by hiding God’s Word in your heart and letting it transform your life. Keep walking with the King!
Do you want to print these verses? Click here to open the free printable.
If you’re looking to study this topic further, I would recommend the book of James. James is considered one of the most practical books of the New Testament. It focuses on wise Christian living transformed by faith.
To find all the free Bible Study Resources for
the book of James – along with a free video series —–> CLICK HERE!